Wednesday, December 5, 2018

Week 43: Teaching An AI Chinese - December 4, 2018


Hello from SLC again! So things have changed a little bit since I last wrote. For starters, it has finally started snowing. ARGH!!! Oh well, it hasn't gotten really bad, but it's still annoying to deal with. Another big change that has happened is that the Family History Library is now open on Saturday nights, meaning that we have to be working there during that time. Thankfully, though, I'll only have to be serving there every other Saturday night since they are planning on having the elders who aren't in the FHL to help out, since it would be unfair for one half of the mission to have a free Saturday night off and the other half to not have one, so we'll be alternating with them. Also, I forgot to mention this, but last Monday I gave a short talk in the Monday morning devotional that my mission has each week. It wasn't to interesting, but I feel like it is worth noting. 
Okay, now on to the subject that I named this email after. Recently, the young elders in this mission have been given this new project called the AGES project. This project, in basic terms, is teaching an AI the written form of Chinese characters. What happens is the AI will pull have an example picture of what the character looks like and a digitized version of it thinks is the same symbol. We then decide whether or not if the symbols are identical, different, or if the digitized picture is not even a symbol and just weird smudge. I've gone through 3000 pictures so far, and I'm having a ton of fun with it. I find it so exciting going through all these symbols and seeing how many I can do! Sure it might not be as cool as some might think, but I think it's great! Hopefully you are all having a fun time wherever you are this winter. Have a great week and remember why we have the Christmas season in the first place!!
Till then,
Elder Wright

Elder Wright also told mom that he's enjoying the Christmas lights on Temple Square and he got to go to the First Presidency Christmas Devotional. He's having so many exciting opportunities serving at the SLC Headquarters!

Also, here is Elder Wright's Christmas ornament this year



No comments:

Post a Comment